Bleach and Water:
 Homemade Surface Disinfectant Instructions

PPE Recommendations:

– Clean, rubber household gloves or nitrile gloves and safety glasses/goggles recommended.
*Staff training point for PPE: Sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in chlorine bleach, is a very powerful oxidizer. Oxidation reactions are corrosive, and the contents will burn the skin and potentially cause irreversible eye damage, especially when used in concentrated forms. Users must take a number of precautions to ensure their safety and avoid personal injury when working with bleach.

First Aid Attendant:

If any bleach contacts the skin, wash the area immediately with clean running water, remove any jewelry during flush, do not rub the bleach until soap and water can be combined, wash the area lightly, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water and consult a Physician promptly. If bleach contacts the eyes, do not rub, immediately flush with saline or water with eyelids held open for 20-30 seconds minimum, contact a Physician immediately.

Preparation Instructions:

Ensure a well-ventilated area is available to mix the products.
Never mix with other chemical products.

Products required:

– Clean spray bottle(s), funnel, measuring device for fluid levels.
– Ensure proper hand hygiene prior to placement of safety glasses/goggles.
– Place goggles on immediately after cleaning hands. Apply gloves.

To prepare diluted bleach for a solution to disinfect high-touch hard surfaces, do so according to instructions on the label or in a ratio* of:
250 mL (1 cup) of water per 5 mL (1 teaspoon) bleach
or, 1 litre of water (4 cups) per 20 mL (4 teaspoons) bleach
* assuming bleach is 5 % sodium hypochlorite, to give a 0.1 % sodium hypochlorite solution

Disinfectants, household cleaners, and hydrogen peroxide are meant to be used to disinfect surfaces. Never use these products on the skin or internally (e.g. by swallowing or injecting these products) as this could cause serious harm.